#5 Employment Labor and Law
Individual Project ( excel file)
As the human resources manager, it is your responsibility to keep all human resources employees informed about current employment law. You want to empower employees with resources that they can use independently to research employment law issues and policies. Using Excel, create a table that will be placed on the company’s Intranet as an employment law reference. You and your employees will be able to add to this document, so you will focus on the following 4 areas of employment law to begin:
- Wages and Hours of Work
- Safety and Health Standards
- Family and Medical Leave
- Whistleblower Protection
For each area of employment law, complete the following:
- List the federal agency (or agencies) that regulates this area.
- Describe how the agency implements the relevant law and policy.
- Provide a link to the agency’s Web site.
- You should organize the information within your table so that it is logical and able to be edited in the future.
Discussion Board 1 ( 5- 6 paragraphs)
Why does the United States have so many laws, acts, and policies designed to prevent and/or remedy discrimination in the workplace? How effective do you think these regulations have been? Is further legislation needed? Are there any laws or policies you believe are no longer relevant or needed in today’s workplace?
In your post, address the following:
- Provide a brief explanation of the economic theory of statistical discrimination as it relates to the workplace.
- Compare and contrast statistical discrimination with the theory of unconscious bias.
- In your opinion, do these theories support the need for antidiscrimination laws and policies? Explain your reasoning.
- Are there any current laws and policies relating to workplace protection that you think are no longer needed? Explain your reasoning.
- Is additional legislation or enforcement needed in the area of antidiscrimination in the workplace? Explain your reasoning.
Discussion Board #2 (4-5 paragraphs)
Union negotiations for your company will begin next month and you have been asked to advise management during the process. Your specific task is to make sure all parts of the final agreement preserve employees’ civil rights. You would like to educate yourself by researching other companies’ collective bargaining outcomes.
Using the library or other Web resources, locate a real-life example of when contract rights secured through collective bargaining conflict with civil rights.
- Summarize the scenario.
- Include the link(s) where you found your information.
- Explain how you will use this information to prepare for your own company’s collective bargaining negotiations
Need help with writing #5 Employment Labor and Law?Get help