Ontario, Inc. manufactures two products, Standard and Enhanced, and applies overhead on the basis of direct-labor hours. Anticipated overhead and direct-labor time for the upcoming accounting period is $800,000 and 25,000 hours, respectively. Information about the company’s products follows.
Estimated production volume
3,000 units 4,000 units
$25 per unit $40 per unit
Direct labor per unit
3 hours at $12 per hour 4 hours at $12 per hour
Ontario’s overhead of $800,000 can be identified with three major activities: order processing ($150,000), machine processing ($560,000), and product inspection ($90,000). These activities are driven by number of orders processed, machine hours worked, and inspection hours, respectively.
Data relevant to these activities follow:
Orders Processed Machine Hours Worked Inspection Hours
300 18,000 2,000
200 22,000 8,000
500 40,000 10,000
Top management is very concerned about declining profitability despite a healthy increase in sales volume. The decrease in income is especially puzzling because the company recently undertook a massive plant renovation during which new, highly automated machinery was installedâ€”machinery that was expected to produce significant operating efficiencies.
Using a Microsoft Excel format for calculations, complete the following:
- Assuming use of direct-labor hours to apply overhead to production, calculate the unit manufacturing costs of the standard and enhanced products if the expected manufacturing volume is attained.
- Assuming the use of activity-based costing, calculate the unit manufacturing cost of the standard and enhanced products if the expected manufacturing volume is attained.
- Ontarioâ€™s selling price is based heavily on cost:
- Calculate which product is over cost and which is under cost by using direct-labor hours as an application base.
- Explain if it is possible that this over costing and under costing is responsible for the profit issues the company is facing.
- Illustrate how the solution will change if the following data changes:
- The overhead associated with order processing is $300,000 and the overhead associated with product inspection is $270,000.
Present your work in Microsoft Excel spreadsheet format. Apply APA standards to citation of sources. Use the following file naming convention: LastnameFirstInitial_M5_A2.xls.ok
Study Acers provides students with tutoring and help them save time, and excel in their courses. Students LOVE us!No matter what kind of essay paper you need, it is simple and secure to hire an essay writer for a price you can afford at StudyAcers. Save more time for yourself. Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more