Can ANYONE HELP ME OUT?????????????????//
Specific Purpose: I want my audience to understand three techniques for improving grades in college.
Organizational pattern: Categorical order
I. We all know the importance of good grades for either getting into graduate school or getting the best possible job.
II. R. P. Wipperman, a section head for Procter and Gamble, told me in a personal interview that good grades â€œare the calling card that get you in the door.â€
III. Because Iâ€™ve been away from college for more than seventeen years, Iâ€™ve been particularly concerned about getting back into the studying groove, so Iâ€™ve been reading study guides looking for specific techniques that are most likely to help with my grades.
Thesis statement: Today Iâ€™d like to share with you three relatively easy, proven techniques for improving your GPA that Iâ€™ve learned from my study: attend classes regularly, maintain a positive attitude, and study systematically.
(Transition: So letâ€™s begin with the first technique.)
I. The first proven technique is to attend classes regularly.
A. It sounds so simple, doesnâ€™t it, but it turns out to be really important.
B. According to Dr. Claude Olney, author of the book Where Thereâ€™s A Will Thereâ€™s an A, one of the most significant differences between an A and a C in a course is attendance.
1. Olney did a study of 800 students and found that, on average, people who got Aâ€™s missed less that one class per term.
2. People who got Câ€™s missed more than four classes per term.
C. During class, professors clarify difficult concepts, emphasize key information, and give insights that canâ€™t be gotten any other way.
D. Regular attendance is important to learning in general and to doing well on tests in particular.
1. If you need further motivation to attend class, think of it this way: Every day you attend class is worth $1,000 to youâ€”thatâ€™s a thousand dollars!
2. According to a Census Bureau study reported in a recent Cincinnati Enquirer, a college diploma hanging on the wall is worth $1,039 a month in extra pay (an average of $2,116 a month for college graduates compared with $1,077 per month for high school graduates).
3. This $12,000+ a year comes to some $600,000 over a lifetime.
4. Since here at UC we spend about 600 days in class over four years, that comes out to about $1,000 for every day we come to school.
(Transition: Now that weâ€™ve seen the importance of attendance, letâ€™s consider the second technique.)
II. The second technique is to develop a positive attitude toward school in general and each class in particular.
A. Bill Moyers just finished a public television series reemphasizing the power of the mind on all aspects of our behavior.
1. To emphasize this relationship, I love the following quote from Dr. Olney: â€œIf you think you can do it, youâ€™re right, and if you donâ€™t think you can do it, youâ€™re still right.â€
2. Notice, whether you can do it or not depends a great deal on whether you think you can.
3. So, go into class each day relaxed, confident that youâ€™re ready for class, and your ready to make the most of what the professor chooses to talk about or discuss during that class.
B. This will help the mind work for you.
1. Joseph Murray, who wrote The Power of Your Subconscious Mind, said, â€œOnce the subconscious mind accepts an idea, it begins to execute it.â€
2. Remind yourself of how much you are learning and how that learning is making you a better-educated, more interesting person.
3. On test days, say, â€œIâ€™m ready for this testâ€ or â€œI know this information.â€
4. If you have a positive attitude, youâ€™ll get better grades.
(Transition: Now letâ€™s consider the third technique.)
III. The third proven technique is to learn to study systematically; every one of the sources I consulted suggested the importance or reading, processing, and reviewing.
A. First, read assignments thoroughly before going to class.
1. Many of us figure that the professor will cover what we need to know in class so we donâ€™t really have to read the assignment before class.
2. But learning works a lot better if we have a good idea of the material when we get to class.
B. Second, process the information in class.
1. When the professor lectures, take careful notes and see how information relates to material you have studied for class
2. During class discussions, ask questions in order to check definitions and review examples.
C. Third, and most important, review the assignment material after class.
1. This is the key to schematic study; keep in mind that without reinforcement, we forget half of what weâ€™ve read within 48 hours and 90 percent of what weâ€™ve read within two weeks.
2. If the information is reinforced, however, we can remember 80-90 percent of the information we have read.
3. Reviewing assignment material after class provides this important reinforcement.
4. So, tonight before you begin reading information for tomorrowâ€™s classes, review information from todayâ€™s classes!
I. So, by attending every class, thinking positively, and studying systematically (read, process, and review), you can improve your GPA.
II. (Add an effective closing statement here.)
Murphy, Joseph. The Power of Your Subconscious Mind. New York: Bantam, 1985.
Olney, Claude W. Where Thereâ€™s a Will Thereâ€™s an A. Paoli, PA: Chesterbook
Educational Publishers, 1989.
Smith, John. â€œCollege Education Pays.â€ Cincinnati Inquirer 10 April 1999:A1.
EBSCOhost. Academic Search Elite. Copiah-Lincoln Community Coll., Oswalt Library. 20 Dec 2002 http://www.epnet.com.
Wipperman, R. P. Personal interview. 2 November 1999.
*Adapted from speech in Verderber text, pp. 235-238
Study Acers provides students with tutoring and help them save time, and excel in their courses. Students LOVE us!No matter what kind of essay paper you need, it is simple and secure to hire an essay writer for a price you can afford at StudyAcers. Save more time for yourself. Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more