Cash Flow statement
The Genesis operations management team is now preparing to implement the operating expansion plan. Previously the firmâ€™s cash position did not pose a challenge. However, the planned foreign expansion requires Genesis to have a reliable source of funds for both short-term and long-term needs.
One of Genesisâ€™s potential lenders tells the team that in order to be considered as a viable customer, Genesis must prepare and submit a monthly cash budget for the current year and a quarterly budget for the subsequent year. The lender will review the cash budget and determine whether or not Genesis can meet the loan repayment terms. Genesisâ€™s ability to repay the loan depends not only on sales and expenses but also on how quickly the company can collect payment from customers and how well it manages its supplier terms and other operating expenses. The Genesis team members agreed that being fully prepared with factual data would allow them to maximize their position as well as negotiate favorable financing terms.
The Genesis management team held a brainstorming session to chart a plan of action, which is detailed here.
- Evaluate historical data and prepare assumptions that will drive the planning process.
- Produce a detailed cash budget that summarizes cash inflow, outflow, and financing needs.
- Identify and compare interest rates, both short-term and long-term, using debt and equity.
- Analyze the financing mix (short/long) and the cost associated with the recommendation.
Since this expansion is critical to Genesis Corporation expanding into new overseas markets, the operations management team has been asked to prepare an executive summary with supporting details for Genesisâ€™s senior executives.
Working over a weekend, the management team developed realistic assumptions to construct a working capital budget.
- Sales: The marketing expert and the newly created customer service personnel developed sales projections based on historical data and forecast research.
- Other cash receipt: Rental income $15,000 per month.
- Production material: The production manager forecasted material cost based on cost quotes from reliable vendors, the average of which is 50 percent of sales.
- Other production cost: Based on historical cost data, this cost on an average is 30 percent of the material cost and occurs in the month after material purchase.
- Selling and marketing expense: Five percent of sales
- General and administrative expense: Twenty percent of sales
- Interest payments: Payable in December â€“ $75, 000
- Tax payments: Quarterly due 15th of April, July, October, and January â€“ $15,000
- Minimum cash balance desired: â€“ $ 25,000 per month
- Cash balance start of month (December):$15,000
- Available short-term annual interest rate is 8 percent, long-term debt rate is 9 percent, and long-term equity is 10 percent. All funds would be available the first month when the firm encounters a deficit.
- Dividend payment: None
Based on this information, do the following:
- Using the Cash Budget spreadsheet, calculate detailed company cash budgets for the forthcoming and subsequent years. Summarize the sources and uses of cash, and identify the external financing needs for both the forthcoming and subsequent years.
NOTE: The Excel Spreadsheet Breakdown
10% immediately (no delay); month 1 – 25% and that is within 30 days; month 2 – 35% and that is within 60 days and month 3 – 30% which is within the 90 day mark (barely but it works) which add up to 100% within 90 days. Does that make sense to all of you? Shane – I think you just got confused on your timing and percentages but in doing so, you helped your classmates by being brave enough to ask.
Study Acers provides students with tutoring and help them save time, and excel in their courses. Students LOVE us!No matter what kind of essay paper you need, it is simple and secure to hire an essay writer for a price you can afford at StudyAcers. Save more time for yourself. Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more