CIS 518 Assignment 1
Assignment 1: Activity Graph
This assignment consists of two (2) sections: a written project plan and a PowerPoint presentation. You must submit the two (2) sections as separate files for the completion of this assignment. Label each file name according to the section of the assignment it is written for.
Section 1: Written Project Plan
Imagine you are a software engineer working on a fixed budget and you are tasked to develop a Web-based student registration system. This Web-based system allows students to register for classes, authenticate their credentials, and select classes for which they are eligible to register. It also registers the students, prints a confirmation receipt, and prepares a registration invoice. You have been asked to provide senior management with a detailed summary, activity graph, and project plan of how you plan to execute the project.
Write a five to six (5-6) page paper in which you:
1. Describe the development of the student registration project as a work breakdown structure of actions and transitions among these actions.
2. Create an activity graph from the breakdown structure using Microsoft Visio or its open source alternative, Dia. Be sure to identify the time estimates and critical path in your submission. Note: The graphically depicted solution is not included in the required page length.
3. Write a project plan for this project which includes, but is not limited to, a risk analysis, task scheduling, and personnel staffing for the project.
4. Provide a rationale for the decisions you made in your project plan to senior management.
Section 1 of this assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
Â· Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
Â· Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the studentâ€™s name, the professorâ€™s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
Â· Include charts or diagrams created in MS Visio or Dia as an appendix of the project plan. All references to these diagrams must be included in the body of the project plan.
Section 2: PowerPoint Presentation
The senior management team has also requested that you present the plan in a concise presentation to the Board of Directors during the organizationâ€™s next operations meeting.
Create a five to ten (5-10) slide PowerPoint presentation for the presentation to the Board of Directors in which you:
1. Present the proposed plan documented in the written project plan.
2. Include the key elements of the project plan (i.e., work breakdown structure, activity graph, risk management, project schedule, and project staffing).
3. Include a justification of the decisions made in the proposed plan to senior management.
4. Create bulleted speaking notes for the presentation to the Board of Directors in the Notes section of the PowerPoint. Note: You may create or assume any fictitious names, data, or scenarios that have not been established in this assignment for a realistic flow of communication.
5. Use a professional technically written style to graphically convey the information.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
Â· Develop project plans and schedules that satisfy user requirements.
Â· Use technology and information resources to research issues in software engineering.
Â· Write clearly and concisely about advanced software engineering topics using proper writing mechanics and technical style conventions.
Need help with writing CIS 518 Assignment 1?Get help