Common College Diseases sample essay
College students are young, lively and generally healthy individuals, but just like any population, they are prone tocertain health problems. Not only do college students have some of the worst eating, exercising and sleeping habits,they also have to deal with stress from school, relationships and job hunting that takes a major toll on their health.Here are the 8 most common college diseases:
1. Depression : Depression is a growing issue that even college campuses are dealing with more and more. An alarming 44 percent of college students reported feeling symptoms of depression during college andmany do not seek treatment for their mental illness. Depression can be brought on by a number of factors,including anxiety from school or work, the loss of a loved one, a troubled relationship and early childhoodtrauma. College students have a high risk of being depressed because their hormones are often out of whack and imbalanced at this age, and they face a great deal of pressures and obstacles while in schooland away from their parents.
2. Meningococcal Meningitis: Meningococcal meningitis is a rare but often deadly bacterial infection that isspread through air droplets and direct contact with infected persons. When the disease attacks, it will shutdown major organs and prevent blood flow to the limbs, often causing tissue to die and extremities to beamputated. From a national perspective, meningococcal meningitis is a rare disease that strikes fewer than 3,000 people every year. However, it tends to thrive on college students living in the dorms becauseof the close-quartered arrangements and their often weak immune systems.
3. Alcohol and Drug Addiction: Alcohol and drug abuse has, and continues to be, a health problem amongcollege students. College students have higher rates of alcohol and drug addiction than the rest of thepublic, with nearly 2.7 million full-time college students abusing drugs and alcohol at least once a month. As students relish in their newfound freedom, they are more likely to try drugs and alcohol with friends for the first time. Although alcohol is still the preferred drug of choice by most college students, there has alsobeen an increase in marijuana and prescription drug abuse.
4. Sexually Transmitted Diseasesc: With the increased amount of sexual activity and unprotected sexhappening in todays colleges, its no wonder why sexually transmitted diseases are rampant amongcollege students. An estimated 20 to 25 percent of college students have been infected or are carriers of STDs. Sexually active young adults have high rates of STDs because they do not use adequate protectionand often do not seek medical attention. Chlamydia, gonorrhea, herpes and HPV (Human Papillomavirus)are some of the most common STDs among college students.
5. Eating Disorders: Eating disorders continue to be a major concern among college students today. Inaddition to the classic eating disorders like anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa, there are a number of other eating disorders not otherwise specified (EDNOS) that have become more rampant in college, suchas caloric restriction, drastic weight loss, excessive exercise, binging and purging. Disordered eating iscommonplace in college, when students are eating on their own and trying to avoid gaining the “freshman15.”
6. Obesity: Eating disorders continue to garner attention in college, but many students are troubled by theother end of the spectrum ± obesity. Today, more than 30 percent of college students are consideredobese or overweight by the American College Health Associations standards. A combination of unhealthydiets, limited physical activity and poor lifestyle choices has caused many college students to becomeobese or overweight.
7. Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD): We hear a great deal about the amount of studentsabusing Adderall and other psychostimulant medications in non-medical ways, but there is a growingnumber of college students being tested and diagnosed with ADHD, as well. The growing number of diagnoses can be attributed to several reasons, including the pressures of college studies, poor academic
Study Acers provides students with tutoring and help them save time, and excel in their courses. Students LOVE us!No matter what kind of essay paper you need, it is simple and secure to hire an essay writer for a price you can afford at StudyAcers. Save more time for yourself. Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more