Comparing & Contrasting Paragraph
For the practice assignment, students will use points-of-reference and transitional words to compare or contrast two used trucks. See the Comparing and Contrasting section under Developing Paragraphs/Strategies for Developing the Main Point in The Little Seagull Handbook.
Consider the following scenario when comparing or contrasting the two used trucks:
Justin has accepted a new job as a master gardener with a landscape design and tree nursery business. The new position will require Justin to use his own vehicle to transport trees, shrubs, and flowers as well as large quantities of mulch, decorative stones, and gardening equipment. Justin currently owns a truck, but it is old and needs a new engine and transmission. So, Justin decides to buy a reliable used truck that is in good condition rather than repair the old truck. Justin has $2,000 in savings plus the trade-in value to use as the down payment to purchase a truck.
At a used car lot, Justin narrows the choices to two trucks. How should Justin make a decision between the trucks? What requirements or points-of-reference are most important? To complete the practice assignment, there are five points-of-reference as shown in Table 3. The sentences for this assignment are provided. The assignment is to reorder, rewrite, and combine the sentences using transitional words.
- Create a points-of-reference chart to evaluate the options.
- Evaluate the two trucks using five criteria — amount of space, condition, features, price, and safety — as the points-of-reference.
- Write a compare or contrast paragraph using the sentences provided.
- Use transitional words and phrases accurately within the paragraph.
- Add other sentences as needed.
Use these sentences for the points-of-reference chart and paragraph:
- Pickup Truck A’s price tag says $3,000.
- Pickup Truck B’s price tag says $4,000.
- Pickup Truck A’s odometer reads 100,000 miles.
- Pickup Truck B’s odometer reads 80,000 miles.
- Both trucks were manufactured in 1998.
- Pickup Truck A has automatic locks and windows.
- Pickup Truck B has a CD player and a great sound system.
- Pickup Truck A is bright red and has a few dents on it.
- The seats and carpet in Pickup Truck B are stained.
- Both trucks have extended cabs.
- Pickup Truck B is dark blue and has a silver stripe on the sides.
- Pickup Truck A has a six cylinder engine.
- Pickup Truck B has an eight cylinder engine.
- Pickup Truck A’s interior is very clean, but the seats are worn.
- Pickup Truck A has a bed-liner.
- Pickup Truck B has tinted windows.
- Pickup Truck B has an automatic transmission.
- Pickup Truck A has a manual transmission.
- Justin has $2,000 saved for the purchase.
Points of Reference
|Pickup Truck A||Points of Reference||Pickup Truck B|
|Amount of Space|
The practice paragraph should demonstrate good structure through the use of a topic sentence, several coherent supporting sentences, and a concluding sentence. Refer to Section W-4b, Developing Paragraphs, particularly the section on Using examples, in The Little Seagull Handbook.
Practice Assignments are worth 20 points each and do not have a rubric. A well-formed, compare or contrast paragraph that demonstrates impeccable use of grammar, spelling, and punctuation will earn maximum points.
Study Acers provides students with tutoring and help them save time, and excel in their courses. Students LOVE us!No matter what kind of essay paper you need, it is simple and secure to hire an essay writer for a price you can afford at StudyAcers. Save more time for yourself. Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more