Examine a time when you were involved in decision making that went awry as a result of protocols, social norms or persuasive techniques. If you do not want to use an example from your business or personal experience you can base your assignment on a journ
The book Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer (1998) began as an article in Outside Magazine that chronicled a tragic series of events on Mount Everest. The article is a near perfect example of decision making using social influence, persuasion, and risk taking that had gone badly awry with profoundly tragic consequences.
In 1996, a team of mountain climbers, led by Rob Hall’s climbing company, Adventure Consultants, and Scott Fisher’s company, Mountain Madness, attempted to climb Mount Everest. However, due to a variety of events, both human and natural, disaster ensued. Eight climbers died and several were severely injured. Survivor, Jon Krakauer, a journalist, chronicled the event in his book Into Thin Air.
Into Thin Air is one example of how decision making using social norms and protocols can be used to persuade others to achieve an objective even when the outcome is not the desired result. The full article and book are not a requirement for this assignment; but a point of reference. Another extend read on this topic is Moneyball by Michael Lewis (2003).
Examine a time when you were involved in decision making that went awry as a result of protocols, social norms or persuasive techniques. If you do not want to use an example from your business or personal experience you can base your assignment on a journal article of your selection. Here are some key words to help you find an article for this assignment:
- Decision making
- Risk taking
- Social heuristics
Write a 5â€“6 page paper in Word format that addresses the following:
- Describe a decision-making scenario using your business experience, personal decision making or cited journal article; include an example of the decision-making process, why it was a risk, how persuasion was used, and what the social heuristics were.
- Explain the incentives that caused others to support the decision and identify why these incentives were selected.
- Identify the risks and the potential decision biases in your scenario. Propose the corrective steps that should have been taken to overcome these biases. If a risk assessment was conducted how did this effect the decision-making process?
- Analyze your scenario for what happened in terms of social heuristics. Explain how decisions were made and the social factors that shaped the decision-making environment.
- Discuss the greatest challenges to sound decision-making in your scenario.
- Critique the decision-making process used by the sponsor(s) and leader(s) of the decision. Identify the mistakes made by the sponsor(s), leader(s) and team members or others impacted by the decision during the implementation of the decision.
Support your statements with scholarly references and appropriate examples. Apply APA standards to citation of sources.
Study Acers provides students with tutoring and help them save time, and excel in their courses. Students LOVE us!No matter what kind of essay paper you need, it is simple and secure to hire an essay writer for a price you can afford at StudyAcers. Save more time for yourself. Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more