FOR SOLUTIONS PRO*** DUE SUNDAY AUGUST 6TH
Assignment 1: LASA 2: Case Felony Packetâ€”File Preparation and Trial Preparation
This assignment will help you explore the history of discovery laws in your state and how the discovery laws might have changed for the better or worse today. It is coupled with learning how to prepare a case to be turned over to the district attorney’s (DA) office and prep a case for trial.
You are a deputy assigned to the Criminal Investigations Division (CID) of the Roan County Sheriff’s Office. You assisted in the Jenkins murder investigation and the Marshall attempted-murder investigation. You are in charge of preparing the case file (discovery) to be turned over to the DA’s office. You are also in charge of working with the DA to prep the case for trial. Below is a list of tasks to complete to prep this case file to turn over to the DA’s office. The last three points in the list help prep the case for trial.
Click here to download the learning resources folder. (ATTACHED)
Complete the following tasks:
- Research the discovery laws in your state. What is discoverable in a criminal felony case? For example, under North Carolina General Statute Section 15A-501, all materials, including photos, notes, phone messages, etc., must be turned over to the state for prosecution of each felony case. Each state is different.
In a 1- to 2-page APA-formatted paper:
- Part I: Compare and contrast any changes your state has made to the discovery laws within the past twenty-five years.
- Part II: Compare and contrast your state’s discovery law to North Carolina General Statute Section 15A-501.
- To prep the case to turn over to the state, read the District 5 Discovery Policy, which applies to the Jenkins murder case file and the attempted-murder case file of Marshall (two different cases; the same crime scene).
- To prepare the case to turn over to the state, Bates stamp, using the District 5 Discovery Policy numbering system outlined in #2 of the policy, all the documents in the case file (i.e., witness statements, evidence log, sketch, and lab report). If you do not have a Bates stamp, please follow the instructions in the District 5 Discovery Policy for inserting numbers in documents in #3 of the policy.
- To prepare the case to turn over to the state, use the Case Summary instructions and template provided in the learning resources folder and complete a Case Summary Form for this case with only the relevant facts to this case. Not every instruction will be used to complete this form.
- To prepare the case to turn over to the state, complete the Law Enforcement Officer Certification Form template provided in the learning resources folder, leaving the Assistant District Attorney Section blank.
- In preparation for trial, use the Spreadsheet template provided in the learning resources folder and use the first spreadsheet tab labeled Witness List to complete the items listed for all witnessesâ€”civilians and law enforcement in this case.
- In preparation for trial, use the Spreadsheet template provided in the learning resources folder and use the second spreadsheet tab labeled List of Involvement to complete the items listed for all witnessesâ€”civilians and law enforcement in this case.
- In preparation for trial, use the Spreadsheet template provided in the learning resources folder and use the third spreadsheet tab labeled Evidence List to complete the items listed for all witnessesâ€”civilians and law enforcement in this case.
Recommendation: Keep this assignment in a safe place as you build a portfolio of your work to show future employers what you can do!
Study Acers provides students with tutoring and help them save time, and excel in their courses. Students LOVE us!No matter what kind of essay paper you need, it is simple and secure to hire an essay writer for a price you can afford at StudyAcers. Save more time for yourself. Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more