Genesis Energy Cash Position Analysis
Assignment 2: Required Assignment 1â€”Genesis Energy Cash Position Analysis
The Genesis Energy operations management team is now preparing to implement the operating expansion plan. Previously, the firmâ€™s cash position did not pose a challenge. However, the planned foreign expansion requires Genesis Energy to have a reliable source of funds for both short-term and long-term needs.
One of Genesis Energyâ€™s potential lenders tells the team that in order to be considered as a viable customer, Genesis Energy must prepare and submit a monthly cash budget for the current year and a quarterly budget for the subsequent year. The lender will review the cash budget and determine whether or not Genesis Energy can meet the loan repayment terms. Genesis Energyâ€™s ability to repay the loan depends not only on sales and expenses but also on how quickly the company can collect payment from customers and how well it manages its supplier terms and other operating expenses. The Genesis Energy team members agreed that being fully prepared with factual data would allow them to maximize their position as well as negotiate favorable financing terms.
The Genesis Energy management team held a brainstorming session to chart a plan of action, which is detailed here.
- Evaluate historical data and prepare assumptions that will drive the planning process.
- Produce a detailed cash budget that summarizes cash inflow, outflow, and financing needs.
- Identify and compare interest rates, both short-term and long-term, using debt and equity.
- Analyze the financing mix (short/long) and the cost associated with the recommendation.
Since this expansion is critical to Genesis Energy expanding into new overseas markets, the operations management team has been asked to prepare an executive summary with supporting details for Genesis Energyâ€™s senior executives.
Working over a weekend, the management team developed realistic assumptions to construct a working capital budget.
- Sales: The marketing expert and the newly created customer service personnel developed sales projections based on historical data and forecast research
- Other cash receipt: Rental income $15,000 per month
- Production material: The production manager forecasted material cost based on cost quotes from reliable vendors, the average of which is 50 percent of sales
- Other production cost: Based on historical cost data, this cost on an average is 30 percent of the material cost and occurs in the month after material purchase
- Selling and marketing expense: Five percent of sales
- General and administrative expense: Twenty percent of sales
- Interest payments: $75,000â€”Payable in December
- Tax payments: $15,000â€”Quarterly due on 15th of April, July, October, and January
- Minimum cash balance desired: $25,000 per month
- Cash balance start of month (December): $15,000
- Available short-term annual interest rate is 8 percent, long-term debt rate is 9 percent, and long-term equity is 10 percent. All funds would be available the first month when the firm encounters a deficit
- Dividend payment: None
Based on this information, do the following:
- Using the Cash Budget spreadsheet, calculate detailed company cash budgets for the forthcoming and subsequent years. Summarize the sources and uses of cash, and identify the external financing needs for both the forthcoming and subsequent years.
Download this Excel spreadsheet to view the companyâ€™s cash budget. You will calculate the companyâ€™s monthly cash budget for the forthcoming year and quarterly budget for the subsequent year using this information.
- In an executive-level report, summarize the company’s financing needs for the forecast period and provide your recommendations for financing the planned activities. Be sure to comment on the following:
- Your recommended financing solution and cost to the firm: If Genesis Energy needs operating cash, how should it fund this need? Are there internal policy changes with regard to collections or payables management you would recommend? What types of external financing are available?
- Your concerns associated with the firm’s cash budget. Is this a sign of weak sales performance or poor cost control? Why or why not?
Write a 7-page paper in Word format. Apply APA standards to citation of sources.
Study Acers provides students with tutoring and help them save time, and excel in their courses. Students LOVE us!No matter what kind of essay paper you need, it is simple and secure to hire an essay writer for a price you can afford at StudyAcers. Save more time for yourself. Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more