|Unit 2 Individual Project
|2 -3 Pages
You have just been asked to teach the concept of adaptation to a psychology class. You decide to conduct the following experiments to teach the concept of adaptation.
Task 1: Conduct three of the following experiments. Record your reactions, and be specific for each experiment.
- Rub your index fingers gently over a piece of very coarse sandpaper a few times and rate its coarseness on a scale from 1 (very soft) to 7 (very coarse).
- After a minute or two, rub the same finger over the paper and again rate its coarseness. Did your perception of the coarseness change? How? Record your reaction.
- Prepare one cup with sugar water and one with fresh water.
- Take a sip of the sugar water and swish it around in your mouth for several seconds without swallowing it. Gradually, it should taste less sweet. (Dispose of the sugar water)
- Taste from the cup containing fresh water. Did the taste of the fresh water surprise you? How? Record your reaction.
- Take about 15 index cards and a flashlight that is opaque on all sides (so that light shines only through the front) into a very dark room.
- Place all 15 cards over the beam of light.
- Slowly remove the cards one at a time until you can barely detect the light, and then count the number of cards that remain over the light.
- After a few minutes, the light should begin to look brighter. When this is the case, add cards and see if you can still see the light.
- Repeat this process of gradually adding cards over a 15-minute period. Were you able to detect an increasingly dim light the longer you spent in the dark? Record your reaction.
- How many cards did it take to not see the light after time?
- Fill 3 medium-sized bowls as follows:
- Bowl 1 – with very hot (but not painfully hot) tap water
- Bowl 2 – with very cold tap water
- Bowl 3 – with a mixture of the very hot and very cold water.
- Arrange them, so your right hand is in front of the cold water, your left hand is in front of the hot water, and the lukewarm water is in the middle.
- Submerse your hands into the water (right into cold, left into hot) for about 3 minutes
- After 3 minutes, quickly transfer both hands to the lukewarm (middle) bowl. What did you sense? Record your reaction.
In all four experiments, you will experience adaption.
Task 2: Write a paper that describes adaption and how you experienced it in your experiments. The paper should cover the following.
- Fully describe the process and results of the experiments that you chose.
- What is sensoryadaptation? Explain the concept of sensory adaptation. Refer to your text for the definition of sensory adaptation (this is not the general dictionary definition)
- Explain how adaptation is evident in each of your experimental results.
- Provide a comprehensive description of the sensory systems that are involved in the experiments that you performed. This description should include what happens from the receptors to the brain. Your discussion should illustrate what was experienced in each experiment.
- Discuss how adaptation is important from an evolutionary perspective.
Be sure to document your references using APA format.
For assistance with your assignment, please use your text, Web resources, and all course materials. Please refer to the following multimedia course materials(s)
- Week 2 â€“ The Sensation & Perception of Psychology
- Week 2 â€“ Sensation and Perception
- Week 2 â€“ The Nervous System
- Week 2 â€“ FAQ: Sensation and Perception
Please use the following guidelines for formatting your assignment.
- Margins – set to one inch
- Font – 12pt. Times New Roman, no bold, or underline
- Title – center above the paper, 12 pt. font (Level A Heading), no bold, underline, or italics
- Pagination – every page; consists of a header containing a short title for the paper and page number placed in the upper right corner of the page
- Line Spacing – double space all work including the References Page.
- Point-of-View â€“ first or third person, objective; limit perspective to research; no personal opinion or narrative
- In-text citations – must conform to APA requirements
- References list – must conform to APA requirements
Please submit your assignment.
- Description of 3 Experiments
- Explanation of adaption and how it pertains to each experiment
- Description of the sensory systems involved in each experiment
Use of research sources
Grammar, spelling, punctuation, and format are correct and professional.
All sources cited using APA
Study Acers provides students with tutoring and help them save time, and excel in their courses. Students LOVE us!No matter what kind of essay paper you need, it is simple and secure to hire an essay writer for a price you can afford at StudyAcers. Save more time for yourself. Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.
Our Homework Writing Disciplines
With a highly diverse team in almost all academic fields including: