LASA 1 Analyzing Theories of Crime
You are an investigative reporter for a large news network. You are working on a news piece identifying how theories of crime explain specific crimes including the demographics of perpetrators and victims. You are required to make a thirty-minute presentation to your producers to convince them to run your story.
Choose a specific crime from the Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) Program at the following:
- US Department of Justice, The Federal Bureau of Investigation. (2009). 2008 Crime in the United States: About crime in the U.S. Retrieved from
Research this crime using your textbook, the Argosy University online library resources, and the Internet. Be sure to include the UCR and other crime reports in your research
Based on your research, develop a presentation that addresses the following:
- Define the crime. Include both the legal definition and others as necessary.
- Summarize demographics of the crime for both the perpetrators and the victim. Be sure to cover the following:
- Socioeconomic characteristics
- Other relevant diversity issues
- Choose two theories of the causes of crime that have been discussed and analyzed so far in the course; apply those theories to the selected crime. Be sure to cover the following:
- Explain the type of each theory in detail.
- Discuss the development of each theory and the main theorists associated with them.
- Compare and contrast the two theories of crime selected. Discuss the ways in which they fit with the crime and the specific demographics associated with the crime.
- Based on your research, develop your own hypothesis of the cause of this crime. Using the theories that you have chosen, you can develop your own â€œcombinationâ€ theory.
- Give valid reasons and scholarly, peer-reviewed sources in support of your theory.
You are allowed to present your theory in first person; however, be careful not to abuse this privilege.
Your presentation should include the following:
- A title slide and a reference slide (these will not count towards the total number of slides).
- At least five sentences of speaker notes for each section to clarify anything not included in the slides. (As this is a presentation the slides should cover the main points and the details should be covered in the speakerâ€™s notes.) The speaker notes should be properly referenced.
Develop a 10â€“15-slide presentation in PowerPoint format. Apply APA standards to citation of sources. Use the following file naming convention: LastnameFirstInitial_M3_A2.ppt.
By Monday, February 17, 2014,
Grading Criteria and Rubric
|Assignment 2 Grading Criteria||
|Provide definitions of the crime. Include both the legal definition and other definitions that you find in your research.||
|Draw from the UCR and other crime reports to summarize demographics of the crime for both the perpetrators and the victim. Include details about gender, ethnicity, socioeconomic characteristics, and other relevant diversity issues.||
|Explain the type of each theory.||
|Discuss the development of each theory and the main theorists associated with each.||
|Compare and contrast the two theories of crime selected. Discuss the ways in which they fit with the crime and the specific demographics that are associated with the crime.||
|Based on your research, develop your own hypothesis of the cause of this crime. Using the theories that you have chosen, you can develop your own â€œcombinationâ€ theory. Give valid reasons and sources in support of your theory.||
Usage and mechanics (12)
APA elements (16)
Study Acers provides students with tutoring and help them save time, and excel in their courses. Students LOVE us!No matter what kind of essay paper you need, it is simple and secure to hire an essay writer for a price you can afford at StudyAcers. Save more time for yourself. Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more