Management Principles and Practices – Assignment 3
Module 3 Assignment: Planning
This assignment is divided into three parts. In Parts A and B, you will analyze the case studies of the Swedish bank Svenska Handelsbanken and McDonaldâ€™s respectively. In Part C, you will consider the five disciplines of Peter Senge in the context of an organization with which you are familiar.
Parts A and B of this assignment are marked out of 100 marks and will count for 10 per cent of your total course mark. The breakdown of marks is as follows:
|Part A: A Learning Organization at Svenska||50|
|Part B: XXL No More||50|
Part C: Sengeâ€™s Five Disciplines contributes to your major project and will count for 8 per cent of your major project mark.
Part A: A Learning Organization at Svenska (50 marks)
Read the “A Learning Organization at Svenska” on page 153 of your textbook and answer the following questions (questions 1â€“3 are from page 153 of your textbook):
- What do you see as the advantages and disadvantages of Svenska Handelsbankenâ€™s structure? (20 marks)
- Do you believe such a structure could work effectively in other cultures, such as that of the United States, in which there is less emphasis placed on consensus-building? (15 marks)
- What do you believe PÃ¤r Boman could do to enhance the learning organization concept at Svenska? (15 marks)
Part B: XXL No More (50 marks)
Read the case application â€œXXL No Moreâ€ on pages 97 of your textbook and answer the following questions (questions 1â€“3 are from page 97 of your textbook):
- Explain how the external environment has affected McDonaldâ€™s plans to discontinue offering supersized meals? (15 marks)
- Describe how McDonaldâ€™s can use the decision to stop selling supersized meals as a competitive advantage. (15 marks)
- Do you believe McDonaldâ€™s was socially responsible in its actions to discontinue supersizing? Why or why not? (20 marks)
Part C: Sengeâ€™s Five Disciplines (8% of your final project grade)
Read the following article:
- Smith, M. (2001). Peter Senge and the learning organization. the encyclopedia of informal education. Retrieved May 27, 2008, from http://www.infed.org/thinkers/senge.htm.
Focus on the five core disciplines: systems thinking, personal mastery, mental models, building shared vision, and team learning.
Choose an organization or group (business or otherwise) with which you are familiar. Then write a report of approximately three pages (approximately 750 words) that answers the following questions:
- What goals or activities would you plan for this organization or group in the next year that would enable you and others to enhance the practices of the five core disciplines? (50 marks)
- How would you motivate other individuals in the organization or group to adopt the practices of the five core disciplines? (25 marks)
- What changes are necessary for this organization or group to become a learning organization (or to enhance the characteristics of a learning organization that already exists)? (25 marks)
Study Acers provides students with tutoring and help them save time, and excel in their courses. Students LOVE us!No matter what kind of essay paper you need, it is simple and secure to hire an essay writer for a price you can afford at StudyAcers. Save more time for yourself. Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more