mod 6 Accounting
Option #1: The Aging Method: The Smith Company Case
The following was taken from the records of Smith Company in the year ending December 31, 2014. Journalize the following transactions in an Excel spreadsheet for year-end 2014 using the aging method. Assume that the allowance for doubtful accounts has a beginning credit balance of $18,000 on January 1, 2014.
Label the events below as journal entries #1 to #4, along with the dates of the entries:
- February 20, 2014: Wrote off Jones account: $7,250.
- May 20, 2014: Received $4,050 as partial payment on the $8,000 account receivable due from Garcia.
- August 10, 2014: Received $7,250 from Jones on the account written off on February 20, 2014.
- September 15: Wrote off the individual account receivables for the following customers as payment not expected in future: Tang: $4,400; Mulaka: $2,210; Quan: $1,375.
December 31, 2014: Smith Company prepared the following aging schedule for it accounts receivables:
- $160,000 of Accounts Receivable (A/R) are 0-30 days late: 3% probability of not being paid.
- $40,000 of A/R are 31-60 days late: 10% probability of not being paid.
- $18,000 of A/R are 61-90 days late: 20% probability of not being paid.
- $1,500 of A/R are later than 90 days late: 50% probability of not being paid.
Submit the following items in an Excel spreadsheet, labeling each as 1, 2, 3, and 4:
- The four journal entries (1 to 4 above) with a one-sentence description for each
- The allowance for doubtful accounts T-account
- The journal entry to record bad debt expense
- The balance sheet presentation of net realizable value, including gross accounts receivables of $219,500
Study Acers provides students with tutoring and help them save time, and excel in their courses. Students LOVE us!No matter what kind of essay paper you need, it is simple and secure to hire an essay writer for a price you can afford at StudyAcers. Save more time for yourself. Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more