PHI103 Week 1 Assignment
Paul and Elder Critical Thinking
Please read the instructions below for information on how to complete this assignment.
For a list of resources that are specific to this assignment, please utilize the “Resources Tab” located below.
If you feel that you need help with any of the main topics for this week, please revisit the Practice Activities located in the Weekly Overview.
Using the web pages associated with the
Foundation for Critical Thinking website,
choose one of the four topics below and respond to the aspects of the prompt in at least 400 words.
The essay must be 400 words in length, excluding title and reference pages, and formatted according to APA style. If you would like to refer to APA samples and tutorials, review the
APA Checklist within the Ashford Writing Center (
https://awc.ashford.edu/cd-apa-checklist.html) located in the Learning Resources tab in the left navigation bar. The only resources you will need to complete this assignment are the web pages of the critical thinking website that relate to your chosen topic. However, if you would like to include other sources, that is encouraged. Just be sure that you utilize the critical thinking web pages as your primary sources of information.
Inference and Assumption
Explain the difference between inference and assumption. Then, present four inferences you have made and connect those inferences to their underlying assumptions. Looking back, which of these were proper inferences, and which were improper inferences? Why?
Purpose, Point of View, and Decisions
Outline a problem that you currently face or have faced recently. Define the assumptions that you have about this issue. Explain your point of view, and outline the information that you have analyzed in relation to this problem. Finally, explain the implications that have arisen or will arise when you respond to this problem.
Valuable Intellectual Traits
Of the valuable intellectual traits listed in the online readings from this week, identify three of them that you believe you need to strengthen. Explain the traits, and then describe how you will attempt to implement actions in your life that will maximize those intellectual virtues.
Using the online reading â€œOpen-minded Inquiry,” identify what you consider to be the three most important attributes that one must have as he or she approaches problems. Explain why you think these attributes are the three most important, and describe examples from your own life, or from the lives of those you know, in which people failed to display those attributes.
The Ashford Writing Center (AWC) has two kinds of tutoring available to you.
- Live Chat â€“ If you have writing-related questions about a topic before you draft a discussion post or submit a written assignment, you will now be able to chat live with a tutor for a short (up to 20 minute) conversation. Live Chat will be available Monday through Friday from 10:00-11:00 am and 4:00-5:00 pm (PST). AWC Live Chat
- Email Paper Review â€“ If you have a draft, partial draft, or even if youâ€™re having trouble getting started, you can complete a submission form and email your paper to the AWC for review.
- Writing Tutors will do their best to return your paper with their comments within 48 hours, not including Saturdays and Sundays. Please plan accordingly if you would like to receive feedback before an assignment due date. AWC Email Paper Review
Carefully review the
Grading Rubric for the criteria that will be used to evaluate your assignment.
Late Policy: Written assignments (essays, journals, presentations) are due on the specified days in the course. Written assignments will be subject to a late penalty of up to 10% per day up to three days late. If written assignments are submitted after 72 hours past the due date, instructors can give a penalty up to and including a grade of 0 for the assignment.
- Foundation for Critical Thinking. (2011). The critical thinking community. Retrieved from http://www.criticalthinking.org/
- The resources from this website relate directly to numerous critical thinking skills that will aid students in argumentation, analysis of biases and prejudice, and thinking through multiple perspectives.
For this week, you will need to access the following pages from the above website:
Need help with writing PHI103 Week 1 Assignment?Get help