psyc research process
This required Portfolio assignment will provide you with the opportunity to practice and hone your research skills. It has been designed to help you think scientifically about real world problems and issues and to apply your knowledge of the research process to various topics in Psychology. This assignment accomplishes that goal by challenging you to:
Â· Differentiate between the common use of the word research and the use of the word research in the social and behavioral sciences
Â· Identify the major steps in the research process using a classic study in Psychology as an example.
Part I: Defining Research
The word research is used in many different ways. Consider the following examples:
Â· Your friend tells you that he intends to research different hair products before deciding on one to buy.
Â· A real estate agent advises you to research home values in your neighborhood before putting your house on the market.
Â· A police officer reports that she is doing â€˜some researchâ€™ on possible motives for a crime that was committed.
Â· A writer states that he does â€˜extensive researchâ€™ before beginning his fictional works.
Answer the questions below:
1. How is research defined in the social and behavioral sciences?
2. What makes scientific research different from the examples provided above? In your response, be sure to address the characteristics of â€˜goodâ€™ psychological research.
Part II: Understanding the research process
Researchers in Psychology follow a systematic process of investigation. Carefully read Chapter 2 of your textbook, paying special attention to the section on Experimental Research. Then go to Chapter 7 in your textbook and read the following section: Research In-Depth: Counterfactuals and â€œIf Onlyâ€¦â€ Thinking. Answer the questions below, using Medvec & colleaguesâ€™ first study as an example:
1. What hypothesis did Medvec & colleagues set out to test in their first study of the â€˜near missâ€™ phenomenon? Describe the theory associated with this hypothesis.
2. Identify the variables in the study and describe how they were measured. How did the researchers operationalize (test or measure) affective response upon winning a bronze or silver medal?
3. Who were the participants in the study and what did they do?
4. Describe the data that were collected and analyzed.
5. Describe the results of the study. What did the researchers conclude?
6. If you were to design a follow-up experiment on this subject, what might it be?
Study Acers provides students with tutoring and help them save time, and excel in their courses. Students LOVE us!No matter what kind of essay paper you need, it is simple and secure to hire an essay writer for a price you can afford at StudyAcers. Save more time for yourself. Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more