psychology child and adolescence abnormal
Assignment 1: Discussionâ€”Autism Spectrum Disorder: An Epidemic
The number of children diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder has risen dramatically during the past few decades. Researchers are now calling it an urgent health matter; some are even calling it an epidemic. Between 1991 and 1999, the number of children in the United States receiving special education services for autism spectrum disorder rose 500%. The rate has nearly doubled in the past ten years across the country. In 2002, the rate of children with autism spectrum disorder was 1 in every 150 children. Currently, approximately 1 in every 88 children has autism spectrum disorder. This increase is happening not only in the United States; studies have found rates to be rising in Canada and across Europe, as well.
Using the module readings, the Argosy University online library resources and the Internet, research the increase in the prevalence of autism spectrum disorder. Then, respond to the following:
- Identify and explain at least three possible causes for the increase in the prevalence of autism spectrum disorder.
- Analyze why so many children are developing autism spectrum disorder.
- Do you think the numbers have increased due to improved methods of identifying and diagnosing children with autism spectrum disorder? Why or why not?
- Are there some environmental, genetic, or cultural reasons for the increase? Explain your answer.
- Recommend what we should do, as a society, to address this epidemic.
Write your initial response in 300â€“500 words. Apply APA standards to citation of sources, including in-text citations and full references. Incorporate information from at least two academic sources to support your statements or ideas. Academic sources could include your textbook, required readings for this module, or academic journal articles found in the AU online library.
By Saturday, August 23, 2014, post your response to the appropriate Discussion Area. Through Wednesday, August 27, 2014, review and comment on at least two peersâ€™ responses. Provide a statement of clarification, a point of view with rationale, challenge a point of discussion, or draw a relationship between one or more points of the discussion. Consider commenting on the following:
- Evaluate your peersâ€™ theories about the possible causes of the increased prevalence of autism spectrum disorder.
- Suggest additional theories or ideas you have developed after reviewing the required materials and conducting research.
- Suggest additional environmental, genetic, or cultural reasons for the increased cases of autism spectrum disorder.
- Evaluate your peersâ€™ recommendations about what society should do about the epidemic.
- Provide interesting resources, Web sites, or references for academic research articles you found during your research. Summarize the researched information for your peers.
Grading Criteria and Rubric
Study Acers provides students with tutoring and help them save time, and excel in their courses. Students LOVE us!No matter what kind of essay paper you need, it is simple and secure to hire an essay writer for a price you can afford at StudyAcers. Save more time for yourself. Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more