Comprehensive Midterm Assignment Version 2
Your Name: ________________ Course Session: ___________________
Answer the following four questions. Be sure to answer all parts of the questions thoroughly. (25 points each)
1. Alyssas Custom Cakes currently sells 5 birthday, 2 wedding, and 3 specialty cakes each month for $50, $150, and $100 each, respectively. It takes 90 minutes to produce a birthday cake, 240 minutes to produce a wedding cake, and 60 minutes to produce a specialty cake. Alyssas current multifactor productivity ratio is 1.25.
a) Use the multifactor productivity ratio provided to calculate the average cost of the cakes produced.
b) Calculate Alyssas labor productivity ratio in dollars per hour for each type of cake.
c) Based solely on the labor productivity ratio which cake should Alyssa try to sell the most.
d) Based on your answer in part (a), is there a type of cake Alyssa should stop selling?
2. Consider the following data for a project never before attempted by your company:
a) Draw the network diagram for this project.
b) Identify the critical path and estimate the projects duration.
c) Calculate the slack for each activity.
Expected Time (weeks)
3. Suppose you are in charge of a large mailing to the alumni of your college, inviting them to contribute to a scholarship fund. The letters and envelopes have been individually addressed (mailing labels were not used). The letters are to be processed (matched with correct envelope, time estimated to be 0.2 minutes each), folded (0.12 minutes each), and stuffed into the correct envelope (0.10 minutes each). The envelopes are to be sealed (0.05 minutes each), and a large commemorative stamp is to be placed in the upper right hand corner of each envelope (0.10 minutes each).
a) Make a process chart for this activity, assuming that it is a one person operation.
b) Estimate how long it will take to stuff, seal, and stamp 2,000 envelopes. Assume that the person doing this work is paid $8 per hour. How much will it cost to process 2,000 letters?
c) Consider each of the following process changes. Which changes would reduce the time and cost of the current process?
· Each letter has the same greeting Dear Alumnus or Alumna, instead of the persons name.
· Mailing labels are used and have to be put on the envelopes (0.10 minutes each).
· Pre-stamped envelopes are used.
· Envelopes are stamped by postage meter which can stamp 200 letter per minute.
· Window envelopes are used.
· A pre-addressed envelope is included with each letter for contributions (adds 0.05 minutes to stuffing step)
d) Would any of these changes be likely to reduce the effectiveness of the mailing? If so, which ones? Why?
e) Would the changes that increase time and cost be likely to increase the effectiveness of the mailing? Why or why not?
4. Jims Outfitters, Inc., makes custom fancy shirts for cowboys. The shirts could be flawed in cautious ways, including flaws in the weave or color of the fabric, loose buttons or decorations, wrong dimensions, and uneven stitches. Jim randomly examined 10 shirts, with the following results:
a) Assuming that 10 observations are adequate for these purposes, determine the three sigma control limits for defects per shirt.
b) Suppose that the next shirt has 13 flaws. What can you say about the process now?
Study Acers provides students with tutoring and help them save time, and excel in their courses. Students LOVE us!No matter what kind of essay paper you need, it is simple and secure to hire an essay writer for a price you can afford at StudyAcers. Save more time for yourself. Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more