Strayer CRJ105 WK 5 Quiz 2 Chapter 5-8
CRJ 105 WK 5 Quiz 2 Chapter 5-8
1. “Theory” is best described as:
b. Providing justifications for criminal behavior
c. Useful for making sense of otherwise isolated, seemingly random facts
d. Useful in locating the one key that will explain all criminological behavior
2. The view that criminal behavior is ultimately driven by supernatural forces is known as:
3. “Women accused of witchcraft were tied up and thrown in the water. If they survived, they were innocent.” This type of practice is known as:
a. Capital punishment
d. Trial by ordeal
4. The earliest theories of crime causation were:
5. Beccaria’s work can be summarized as arguing that:
a. Crime is the result of forces outside of an individual’s control.
b. Capitalism is at the root of most crimes.
c. The punishment should fit the crime.
d. Crime rates are related to geography.
6. Jeremy Bentham advocated for “the greatest happiness shared by the greatest number.” The term that refers to this approach is:
b. Ecological determinism
7. Which of the following theoretical perspectives is based on the premise that human behavior is primarily hedonistic in nature?
c. Ecological determinism
8. Which of the following would an adherent of the neoclassical school propose?
a. Three strikes legislation
b. Social reform
c. Family counseling
d. Substance abuse treatment
9. Who was the first researcher to take advantage of criminal statistics?
10. A criminologist notices that crime rates tend to be higher in warmer climates. This observation is most closely linked to the concept of:
b. Economic determinism
c. Human ecology
d. Just deserts
11. The “thermic law” of crime argues that crimes against persons increase in:
a. Capitalistic societies
b. Secular societies
c. Hedonistic locales
d. Warmer climates
12. As the first scientific criminologist, Adolphe Quintelet’s work is most noteworthy because:
a. His work disproved the long-held notion that crime was related to the lunar cycles.
b. He was the first criminologist to identify the weaknesses to relying on official crime statistics.
c. He was the first criminologist to draw a connection between capitalism and crime.
d. His observation that crime was linked to other variables called into question the notion of free will.
13. Deterrence theory is related to which school(s) of thought?
14. Which of the following is an example of situational crime control?
a. Securing of entries, doors, and locks
b. Use of surveillance
c. Improvement of lighting
d. All of the above
15. The basic principles of the modern Western judicial and legal system are found in the:
a. Supernatural school of criminology
b. Lombrosian school of criminology
c. Classical school of criminology
d. Economic school of criminology
16. A little boy shoplifts a candy bar from a local store. The view that this crime was influenced by environmental factors is known as:
c. Human ecology
17. In Marxist literature, which of the following terms is used to refer to the working class?
18. The notion of unconscious sexual motivation is associated with which of the following?
a. Adolphe Quetelet
b. Cesare Lombroso
c. Karl Marx
d. Sigmund Freud
19. Willem Bonger saw capitalism as causing crime through its promotion of selfish individualism, which is also referred to as:
20. With which school of criminological thought is Willem Bonger associated?
c. Human ecological
21. True or False? Demonological theory views criminals as rational, hedonistic, free actors.
22. True or False? Theological views of criminality have not been held by any society since the Middle Ages.
23. True or False? Cesare Beccaria and Jeremy Bentham are associated with the classical school of criminology.
24. True or False? The neoclassical school is primarily concerned with finding effective criminal justice policies, not explaining the causes of crime.
25. True or False? The concept of “just deserts” is related to the neoclassical approach to criminology.
Study Acers provides students with tutoring and help them save time, and excel in their courses. Students LOVE us!No matter what kind of essay paper you need, it is simple and secure to hire an essay writer for a price you can afford at StudyAcers. Save more time for yourself. Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more