Strengths and Weaknesses Essay
I have a number of key strengths that are contributive to working as a competent manager. I have sound logic, am diplomatic and disciplined and approach social situations with an open mind and an eagerness to understand. While all of these are personal traits, undoubtedly they are ever present in my working life. Each of these traits, in my opinion, allows me to make a balanced assessment of a multitude of situations. There are, of course, a few areas that I need to develop which will also hone the skills that I already possess. I will now outline the specific areas of my strengths and weaknesses.
People Managenent is one of my strongest abilities and one that I have the a real talent for. I love working with people and enjoy the challenge of judging whose skills are best suited to different aspects of the job.
• Accomplished Team Leader – When working within a team I naturally have authority and take control so that the group works efficiently and effectively.
• Diplomacy – I work successfully in a managerial role because I apply logic and reason to situations as well as maintaining balance. When talking, it is important to be considerate, consistant and concise as well as clear. I believe the key to making swift progress is in ensuring that people understand you as quickly as possible.
• Versatility – When faced with a challenging situation I have the ability to change my style of management according to the particular member of staff’s way of working.
• Presence – I am told that I naturally have an air of authority and leadership. I am very direct and will not hide what I am trying to convey.
• Working with large numbers – I have a lack of experience in managing a lot of people. I am eager to accept the challenge, and understand that it is a matter of confidence that determines how effective and influential I can be to a team of staff.
• Motivation – I am looking to develop my motivational skills in new and efficient ways. I am already highly self-motivated but recognise that my technique might not be as successful with other members of staff.
• Accepting too many tasks – I am prone to taking on more work for myself than is necessary and often find afterwards that simply delegating them would save me having to go back over my own work.
In my opinion, this is a skill that requires attention to detail as well as discipline and is a key factor in maximising commercial success. This is my weakest area as a manager and so naturally it is the one that I have most desire to improve.
• Methodical – I have a logical mind that works systematically. There are rules and guidelines that must be considered when approaching a task in Visual Merchandising. When faced with a specific set of instructions such as these, I am able to process information much more quickly and easily.
• Commercialism – I have a strong understanding that Visual Merchandising is paramount when striving for commercial success. I am good at sourcing information that enables me to construct an effective wall (or area of the store) as potentially profitable as possible.
• Problem solving – Speaking from previous experience, remerchandising a wall can be a challenge. You have to consider each of the factors that are presented to you and then arrange them so that they both balance and compliment one another. I find that the best solution is ‘Trial and Error’ because you can see multiple possibilities before deciding on the final, and most appealing, combination.
• Creativity – Although my background in the Arts industry is a real advantage when constructing interesting and captivating displays I still struggle simply because I do not have equal amounts of experience in fashion or business.
• Attention to detail – I sometimes find that, in my eagerness to be efficient, I will miss key issues that I would otherwise consider very carefully if working at a slower pace.
• Frustration – I get frustrated with Visual Merchandising when the given rules dont apply to the particular task and a compromise needs to be found.
I am particularly interested in Loss Control because it affects the efficiency of the company and is something that must be done routinely and thoroughly. There are rules that must be followed and so it is also something that I enjoy completing.
• Consistency – Loss control is something that is necessary for any commercial business to succeed. Following guidelines compiled by Loss Control managers is a top priority. I pride myself on consistently and strictly monitoring loss within the company at all times.
• Awareness – Over the past few months I have made a conscious effort to monitor Loss Control, both internal and external. I ensure that I fulfil my duty and communicate any concerns or incidents to the Loss Control department.
• Audit – I have not yet carried out an audit and have only a basic theoretical knowledge which, of course, needs to be developed and expanded upon.
• Staff training – I need to develop new and innovative ways of training staff in Loss Control. I have previously trained staff but recently standards have dropped slightly.
Administration covers a wide spectrum of areas, but there is a day to day routine that must be completed. I perform very well in administration tasks.
• Accuracy – I complete all necessary paperwork in the correct way, ensuring that I do so with great precision.
• Efficiency – I am eager to complete all administration paperwork as soon as possible.
• Tidy – I pride myself on maintaining a clear and ordered office space. I work most successfully in a room free of clutter.
• Knowledge – There are areas of administration that I keep discovering. The knowledge that I need to develop includes:
• New starter paperwork
• Decline reports
Training and Development
I am keen to encourage people to improve in all aspects of their working life. A manager must pay close attention to this particular area of work because it boosts morale and allows people to grow in their career. It also contributes to the overall success of the store.
• Communication – I possess skills that enable me to compartmentalise information that is sometimes overwhelming. I enjoy helping others to understand things more clearly and in a way that they’ll be able to retain.
• Understanding future development – I don’t fully know how to develop someone to become higher than my current level. However I can inspire people to work hard and to make sure that they are comfortable in accepting new challenges.
In conclusion, there are skills that I possess that are a real advantage when working in a managerial role. I enjoy working with people and I have an aptitude for following company procedure thoroughly. I feel that this is a starting point and I have realised that there are areas in which I need to develop that, in time, will only strengthen my knowledge of the company as well as maximising my potential for success.
Study Acers provides students with tutoring and help them save time, and excel in their courses. Students LOVE us!No matter what kind of essay paper you need, it is simple and secure to hire an essay writer for a price you can afford at StudyAcers. Save more time for yourself. Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more