The Rocking Horse Winner sample essay
1. The purpose of this story is to show the importance of the choices that you make. If you’re going to wish for something, just make sure to think twice about it before the wish finalizes. In this simplistic style of writing, direct characterization and its use of the wish motif make this story a fable of sorts, a tale meant to teach a lesson. The story is centered around a child who potentially has magical powers, that wants to use his ability for the sake of his greedy family members without knowing the consequence.
2. The story claimed that she “adores” her children, but in reality she hardly cares about them. The first child to notice this cold and rather distant love is Paul. Instead of focusing on taking care of her children, she spends her money leisurely and always complaining of not having enough income. Like most caring mothers, such as fairy God mother, they would be happy if their lives are decent, but as for their children, it should go beyond that. The boy’s mistake about filthy lucker clarifies her thinking as needy of money and her motivation as to spend it more leisurely. Her love for her husband is no longer there because it’s his fault for being unlucky that she too has to be so. She is “unlucky” because she is married to an unlucky man.
3. Paul is the kind of child who is innocent that also craves love from his parents, especially from his mom. His motivation is to guess the winning horses so his family can be filthy lucky.
4. The second of these cannot be accepted as little more than a metaphor. When comparing a boy with divinatory power to the house that could whisper, it’s not plausible. The reason why he keeps on riding his rocking horse because he wants to show his mom that he is indeed lucky. As his luck rises, the house whispers louder and louder.
5. It is ironic that the boy’s attempt to stop the whispers should only increase them. Before when Paul didn’t bet and wins, the house would constantly whispers “There must be more money”, but when he did bet and wins, the money that he invested back is a lot and yet the whispers of the house get louder and rapider as to before. It did tell us about the theme of the story. The theme is the love for money is destructive of all other love, and even to life itself. It is ironic that the whispers should be especially audible at Christmas time because it has become a time of “unbridled avarice”. The irony contained in the boy’s last speech is that he is dying. Despite all of the luck that Paul earned, he did not get to use them or to see how it is being used.
6. The boy’s riding is very symbolic of some people’s pursuit of material wealth. He is not riding the horse to enjoy it. His riding is break-neck and furious, completely out of control, just like the pursuit of more, more, more is for some people.
7. A sentimental writer might have ended the story by having Paul recover after his big win and have Hester realize that her son is more important than money. However, by not ending the story with a “happily ever after” moment, the reader is more strongly affected by the lesson.
8. “The Rocking Horse Winner” is certainly a story in which most, if not all, of the characters are consumed with things and/or money. This materialism, of course, causes at least one death, and it seems to be the root of unhappiness for the others.
9. There are limitations to what we or luck can do; even luck can’t even revive us from the dead.
Study Acers provides students with tutoring and help them save time, and excel in their courses. Students LOVE us!No matter what kind of essay paper you need, it is simple and secure to hire an essay writer for a price you can afford at StudyAcers. Save more time for yourself. Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more