Watch video and answer questions.
First, please listen to this NPR story (about 8 minutes) about one woman’s defense that her children were indeed her own even though initial DNA testing showed that she was not their biological mother.
Here is an article on a second, similar case. Note that I usually do not support use of Wikipedia for science knowledge as anyone can alter this information in any way that they wish to; however, for these types of stories that are just science-related interesting facts, this is okay.
Here is the link to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lydia_Fairchild
After you listen to the above story, please make a post to this discussion board answering one or more of the following questions:
1. Where in a eukaryotic cell is DNA found? (hint: two locations, NOT one). Do these two types of DNA differ in the way that they are passed down â€“ maternal inheritance, paternal inheritance, both; why?
2. Are both of these types of DNA specific or unique to an individual?
3. What is chimerism? Can humans be chimeric, how and why in terms of biology â€“ how does this occur naturally (here I am looking for a general naturally occurring phenomena to explain this; hint: the NPR audio answers this. Here, I am NOT looking for explanations of how animal chimeras are created in labs)?
4. How do you think chimerism affects crime investigation? Can a chimeric suspect be erroneously released based on DNA testing, even though he/she actually committed the crime, why?
5. Do you think that standard DNA testing, either as part of a criminal investigation or a parental custody case, should include testing for chimerism? Why, or why not?
Study Acers provides students with tutoring and help them save time, and excel in their courses. Students LOVE us!No matter what kind of essay paper you need, it is simple and secure to hire an essay writer for a price you can afford at StudyAcers. Save more time for yourself. Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more