Which Antacid Neutralizes Acid the Best? Essay
This experiment was conducted to find out how effective different types and brands of antacids are at neutralizing acid. I also looked at the cost of each product in order to determine if my hypothesis would be correct. The experiment was done using 4 brands of antacid, Pepto-Bismol, Gaviscon, Tums and Tagamet.
All the antacids will neutralize different amounts of acid but the most expensive one will be able to neutralize the most acid.
Antacids are a type of medication that can be purchased at pharmacies to cure heartburn and gastritis. An antacid works by neutralizing the acid in your stomach and increasing pH levels.
Our stomach is normally at pH levels of around 2 to 3. When we eat food, our stomach produces acid to help digest the food. However when we eat to much, our stomach produces too much acid and pH levels may drop below 2. This is when we start to experience heartburn, and that’s precisely when the antacids become useful. It helps to bring pH levels back to around 3 to 4, and often offers quick relief.
Antacids will not be able to neutralize the acid in the stomach by itself and will need another ingredient to help increase pH levels. This ingredient can be sodium, magnesium, calcium or aluminum.
Some over-the-counter antacids contain a H2 blocker or Proton Pump Inhibitors. These medications help reduce the amount of acid produced by the stomach. While they may not give immediate relief, and may take more than 1 hour, the relief from the symptoms will last much longer. Materials
The materials required for this science fair project:
– 4 beakers
– 800ml water
– 80ml muriatic acid
– 4 brands of antacid – Pepto Bismol, Gaviscon, Turms, Tagamet – 1 pH meter
– 1 burette
– 1 mortar and pestle
– 1 glass stirrer
– 1 measuring spoon
– 1 marker pen
1. For this experiment, the independent variable is the brand of antacid. The dependent variable is the amount of acid needed to neutralize the antacid. This is determined by measuring the amount of acid dropped from the burette, and by using a pH meter. The constants (control variables) are the concentration of acid solution and the amount of water in the beaker.
2. The 4 beakers are filled with 200ml of water each. Using the marker pen, the 4 beakers are labeled Pepto-Bismol, Gaviscon, Tums and Tagamet.
3. The recommended dosages of the 4 types of antacids are mixed together with the water in their respective beakers, named according to the brands. The tablet form of antacid is crushed first using the mortar and pestle before mixing it with water.
4. 40ml of muriatic acid is poured into the burette.
5. The burette is placed over the beaker labeled Pepto-Bismol. The acid in the burette is inserted, drop by drop into the beaker. With every drop, the solution is mixed using the stirrer and the pH reading is taken, until it reaches 7.0. The amount of acid required to neutralize the solution in the beaker is recorded in the table below.
6. The burette is refilled with muriatic acid until 40ml again for the next test.
Study Acers provides students with tutoring and help them save time, and excel in their courses. Students LOVE us!No matter what kind of essay paper you need, it is simple and secure to hire an essay writer for a price you can afford at StudyAcers. Save more time for yourself. Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more